I threw a surprise party for my hubs with only a few days notice.
Was I stressed?
No way because I know the keys to throwing an amazing party.
1) Great Music – set the party mood.
2) Signature Cocktail – no need to stock a full bar. I create one festive cocktail and have plenty of wine and sparkling seltzer on a tray so everybody can help themselves.
3) Food – don’t slave over the oven. Choose make ahead foods and recipes you have down pat.
(see the simple recipe for these addictive rosemary walnuts below)
4) Candles – dim the lights because everyone looks better by candlelight (and nobody will notice the dust bunnies in the corner). See how to make my snowy mason jar candles.
5) Simple Decorations – you don’t have to spend tons on fresh flowers. Use what you have like my cloche filled with marshmallows straight from the pantry.
A walk down memory lane with lots of old pictures displayed on my antique chalkboard.
Of course, no party is complete without dessert …
and coffee …
I like having everything set out on a tray before guests arrive so I’m not scrambling to find mugs or sugar during the party.
Now for one of my all time favorite, simple party appetizers.
A touch of heat from cayenne pepper give these walnuts a kick.
Impossible to eat just one, serve them and watch them disappear.
Perfect Party Rosemary Walnut Recipe
*1/4 stick unsalted butter
*2 teaspoons garlic salt
*1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
*2 teaspoons dried, crushed rosemary
*2 cups walnut halves
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Melt butter in nonstick skillet
- Add garlic salt, cayenne and rosemary
- Stir for 1 minute
- Add walnuts and toss to coat
- Spread walnuts on baking sheet
- Bake 15 minutes
- Remove from sheet and let cool
Watch your guests devour them and then demand the recipe!
Adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks – Perfect Party Food.
Contains affiliate link but I only speak the truth – see my full disclosure policy here.
Want Eclectically Vintage delivered right to your inbox?
Just enter your e-mail in the box below!